Two-and-a-half million people world-wide and 400,000 Americans suffer from the chronic disease multiple sclerosis. Understanding Multiple Sclerosis presents both general information about MS and valuable, specific advice.
Who gets MS? What are its symptoms? What are its effects on the bodies and minds of people afflicted? How does one plan for the future after a diagnosis? From basic biology to new advances in treatment, Understanding Multiple Sclerosis covers the topics most relevant to people with MS and to their families and friends.
- Introduction to genetic, demographic, and geographic factors
- Basic biology of MS, with descriptions of both the central nervous system and the immune system
- Characteristic symptoms of MS
- Diagnostic criteria and different types of MS
- Treatments, over-the-counter medica-tions, and alternative medicines
- Lifestyle adjustments and coping strate-gies along with advice on long-term health insurance and financial planning
- Current and ongoing MS research and advances
Melissa Stauffer of Daphne, Alabama, is a freelance science editor whose work has appeared in Biochemistry, Journal of Biological Chemistry, Journal of Biomolecular NMR, and FEBS Letters.
Please Sig up/Log in to DOWNLOAD